Kinshasa report - Sept 2022

 

Newsletter September 2022     

Outreach to mega city of 15 million

I was invited to speak at a pastors’ conference in Kinshasa by Rhema church in Potchefstroom. I was a bit apprehensive about the trip, but I felt a prompting of the Holy Spirit to go. We are doing a first DTS (discipleship training school) at the refugee base in Dzaleka (Malawi) and most of the refugees are from the DRC. (We started Operation Refugee Africa a few years ago to sponsor refugees from this refugee camp to do Discipleship Training School in Malawi, and become  Missionaries – see ywampotch.com)

There were a few reasons I went. One reason was to look at the possibilities of planting a new Ywam base in Kinshasa, DRC.

On the plane I sat next to a businessman from France that does business with the mines in DRC. He previously worked for Al-Jazeera, and he gave me a live update on what is happening in the country as he was staying in the country for 15 years already. At the airport everything was French. The person on the plane told me exactly what to have when I enter not to pay extra penalties. The pastor and the evangelist were waiting for me, and they booked me into a hotel for the whole week.

Church has a lot of authority

On the plane the French person asked me what I was going to do. When I said I was teaching on a pastors’ conference he said: “That is the right place to be, they have a lot of authority in Kinshasa.”

The Rhema pastor from Potch (Pastor Ndagano) is of Congolese origin. He was the missions’ leader when he was student. The evangelist that organized the conference was the next generation university leader. I spoke twice at the pastors’ conference and preached at the church they were planting in Kinshasa.

In the organizing group the evangelist was also a qualified engineer, the pastor also a medical doctor and in the rest of the group there was a lawyer and an architect as well. I realized I was hosted by the intellectual elite that has a lot of authority and contacts. What was more was that the evangelist spoke at Ywam Cambodia and worked with Ywam India for a few years. I could really sense the evangelist was hand-picked for a Ywam planting.

Words from the Holy Spirit

When I prayed the Holy Spirit said the following words. “Rush-in, stabilize and sardine run”. I sensed that this period is a golden opportunity to stabilize the country and that there was a lot of opportunities for the gospel for championing indigenous tribes in Kinshasa. There are 450 tribes in DRC and all of them are in Kinshasa! What is more is that Kinshasa is now safe, and that the DRC has a new Christian president from 2019.


Kinshasa is an African mega-city. The roads are very busy and there are tar roads in Kinshasa and 1 tar road for 1000 km out of Kinshasa. The food was very nice with a few side dishes that were foreign. One side dish was dried Mopani worms and another peanut butter fish. I was very well looked after, and the Hotel was like a 2-star Hotel in SA.

Time is slow

Knowing Africa runs on its on-time schedule I asked the evangelist what the real time is when someone makes an appointment. He said DRC time is 30 min to 2 hours after the time that was mentioned. I saw a few things that could make it difficult for outreach groups in the culture. One was the traffic, another the time issue and another the African culture that is far from western culture. All of this is however normal outreach issues. The number one issue I wanted to know if it is safe. I found it safe and enormously fertile for the gospel. It is probably one of the mega-cities in the world where you can literally just come in and do the work of evangelism and there will be a huge harvest.

Picture from the Holy Spirit for conference

The Holy Spirit showed me several domes of light all over Kinshasa that represented the churches. On the churches I saw written “leadership development”. I realized that the church is the place where the new DRC is being born. The evangelist said: “We need workshops from Ywam”.  One very interesting statistic I heard was that: in 2050 one in four people in the world would be African!


The evangelist was one of 9 children and one of the pastors was one of 14 children. Now is a very important time for Africa but also for the mission destiny of the world in many senses. If hard work is done now in the central African region for Christianity, they will be missionaries everywhere in the coming decades.

For African bases -feel free to do missions in Kinshasa. For Western bases - I would advise outreaches of 2 weeks, workshops at the churches and disciples that are being discipled over internet after contact on the ground. For Western bases the culture shock is normally big in the heart of Africa. June to August is the best time for outreach as it is dry season then and malaria is at its lowest. For safety it is good to contact me for the right indigenous contacts. DRC has 24 provinces. Focusing on Kinshasa for now and establishing strongly there, would train indigenous workers that will do the work in the other roadless provinces.

Ywam Dzaleka (refugee focused base) doing DTS in October

We are looking to help refugee students to do DTS in October. It costs 900$ per student for their DTS. We are praying to see if this group can do their outreach to Kinshasa. This might open up a way for the refugees to return to their country of birth. The financial conditions are extremely tough and it will be nearly impossible for refugees to do DTS without outside help.  Help create indigenous missionaries that can help stabilize central Africa by donating to Operation Refugee Africa (it is a ministry of Ywam Potch).

OPERATION REFEUGEE BANKING DETAILS:Operation Refugee Africa NPO

First Nation Bank – Cheque / current account  62626450720 Branch code: 240438 (Potchefstroom Branch) Reference: (Please give a specific reference – eg. DTS sponsor)

Keep Contact

Facebook pages: Ywam Potchefstroom,  WikusChristien Vorster,   Operation Refugee-YWAM Potch,  Transformation Prayer – TPMSA  Instagram: ywam_potch

WEBSITE: http://ywampotch.com                    BLOG: http://wikuschristien.blogspot.com

PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/7Vorsters

Comments

Popular Posts